[Resolved] Ctrl-A behavior

Home Forums Issues and bugs reports [Resolved] Ctrl-A behavior

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    thomasmca314159
    Participant

I have 2 issues that could be bugs or feature requests. To me, both are bugs because the behavior is different from standard Windows behavior.

1. I often want to get/use a file name. The easiest way to do that is to copy and paste the name. So I click on the file, select F2 to rename, then press Ctrl-A to select the entire file name, including the extension, then Ctrl-C to copy the name. But in FV, Ctrl-A always selects all files. It should behave differently when the file name is in edit mode – it should select all text in the current control, not run some function outside of the control. That is a common function for all controls in Windows – put the cursor in any text control, and Ctrl-A selects all text within the control.
    2. Deselecting files. After selecting 2 or more files, there is no way (that I could find) to deselect them with the mouse. You have to navigate to a different folder, then come back to the current one. Yes, there is a menu option and a keyboard shortcut. But standard behavior is to require the Ctrl key to select multiple, and without the Ctrl key, clicking on one should deselect all of the others. I think the FV behavior is called “sticky keys.”

Hi thomasmca314159,

Your feedback is greatly appreciated, helping me fine-tune FileVoyager for an even better user experience!

• The easiest way to copy a filename is by pressing ctrl+J on the keyboard
      1. ctrl+J copies the filename
      2. ctrl+K copies the parent directory path
      3. Ctrl+L copies the filepath

The way you do it is also ok. You can enter edit mode on a file name by pressing F2 on your keyboard. Then, each subsequent time you press F2, a different file part is selected.

1. 1st time you press F2, the filename is selected without extension
      2. 2nd time you press F2, the extension is selected
      3. 3rd time, the full filename is selected including the extension.

However, the editbox should also handle other key combination like the Ctrl+A. I’ve noted your suggestion to include support for additional key combinations like Ctrl + A, and I’ll address this in the upcoming release.

• Regarding file selection with the mouse, FileVoyager follows the Norton Commander’s “Sticky Selection” approach. You can select and deselect files by right-clicking and sliding over them.
      Alternatively, checkboxes should appear next to selected files. If not, could you confirm if this is the case for your setup?

Hi,

The issue with Ctrl+A described in OP is now solved in version 24.1.20

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.